Tuesday, July 5, 2011

FOUND!

Last week I spent time at Summer Games Georgia. This is such a wonderful camp for me. I am enabled to share God's love to youth and to receive God's love from all of those around me. Our theme this year was "Found." What a word. 


We looked at the story of the prodigal son for most of the week (Luke 15:11-32). We saw the joy the father had as his child was returning home. The father welcomed his younger son home with open arms, throwing a feast to celebrate his return. What a wonderful welcome!


When I read this story I am always struck by the reaction of the older brother. It seems to me that he has some good points. He worked hard while his younger brother was away having fun and squandering his inheritance. Can any of you relate to that? A time when you did all the work and it seemed as if someone else was rewarded? I know I used to relate more to the older brother in this story. It appeared to me as if I was working hard to win God's affection, and other's received it so easily. How could someone's faith outweigh my works?


What I failed to see is that "my" works aren't important; God's works in and through me are what truly matters. Without works, faith is dead; but without faith, what can we really do? 


God doesn't want us to be like the older brother. He only went through the motions, never loving his father or understanding his father's love. The story of the prodigal son does not encourage us to run away and waste ourselves on reckless living either. Instead it shows us how God is willing and ready to forgive us of our sins. God welcomes us home, with open and loving arms. He wants us to return to Him. Sometimes He just wants us to see His enduring presence in our lives. But above all, He loves us, just the way we are. He has found us and is waiting for us to recognize Him. 


"32 But we had to celebrate and be glad, because this brother of yours was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found." Luke 15
God, I pray that in everything we do, you may be glorified. Help us to remember that we are unworthy of your love, but you give it to us freely. Allow us to know you are always waiting to embrace us as we come home and sometimes even carry us along the way. Thank you for your amazing love, Lord, and all the blessings you have bestowed upon us. You are a great and powerful God that knows each of us by name. I love you. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment